The most common question asked by customers during a loft conversion is, ” How much time does it take?” Well, it is impossible to mention a fixed or specific period for a loft conversion. There are various kinds of loft conversions, and the time taken for each type depends on the type of service you require.
The time taken for such conversions depends entirely on the type of conversion, the materials used, the type of staircases installed, the number of doors and windows added, and various other factors.
Three phases of converting a loft by builders in Surrey:
The different types of loft conversion
In Surrey, there are mainly three types of loft conversions, namely:
1. Dormer: It is the most common type of conversion. At first, builders in Surrey make a vertical wall from the bottom of the roof. The wall is then joined to a flat roof. It helps in creating a head-space within the loft. There is no permission required for this conversion process.
2. Hip to gable: This is a bit more complex than the dormer process. It is required for changing the slope of the roof to a gable end. Special permission is needed in this case. This takes a longer time than the dormer process.
3. Mansard: This involves a massive change in the structure of the house. It takes a lot of time and is often quite expensive.
Is your home appropriate for a loft conversion?
Conversions is a popular form of home improvement as it helps in increasing the overall size of your property. Conversion is a better and more economical idea than moving. With the enhanced need for space within your home, you may want to convert a loft!
If you are wondering whether your house is suitable for such structural changes, well, it depends on an array of factors that a professional can assess and describe elaborately.
Here are some of the things to be considered:
- The height of your home ceiling is an essential factor. The roof must have a minimum height of 2.3 meters to facilitate a conversion.
- The structure is also an essential factor. The type of engineering work done on the roof space can determine the kind of conversion that can be done.
- A staircase needs to be installed to follow the conversion regulations.
- You may or may not require written permission from the concerned authorities.